This travel program includes guided tours of two historic colonial-era homes and the Virginia Beach Surf & Rescue Museum (formally called the Old Coast Guard Station) to explore the history of Princess Anne County, Virginia. The county merged with the city of Virginia Beach in 1963.
Adam Thoroughgood was one of Virginia’s first colonists, arriving in 1621 as an indentured servant and in 1636 he was granted a land parcel. For many years it was believed the house was built by Adam Thorowgood himself. (The spelling of “Thorowgood” persists into the 19th century and descendants spell the name with many variations.) Today, architectural historians agree the house was built circa 1719 by Adam’s great-grandson, Argall. Argall’s son John later added its extensive wainscoting and paneling, as well as its dramatic turned staircase. It also features a wonderful collection of late 17th and early 18th century English furniture and beautiful gardens. The house is possibly one of the oldest surviving colonial homes in Virginia Beach. It also is a Virginia Historic Landmark, a National Historic Landmark, and on the National Register of Historic Places.
Frances Land House
The Francis Land House was the home of the wealthy plantation owner, Francis Land VI. When Land built the house (circa 1805) his family already had been living on the property for 150 years. While the architecture of the house is Georgian, the interior style is Federal. The house has been restored and is furnished with a mix of period antiques and reproductions to interpret the period for which Land and his family were in residence, circa 1805 - 1819. A period garden on the beautifully manicured grounds includes herb, vegetable, flax, formal, and “pleasure” gardens. The house is a Virginia Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
Virginia Beach Surf & Rescue Museum
With a collection of 1,800 artifacts and over 1,000 photographic images of the United States Life-Saving and Coast Guard Services, and the resort community of Virginia Beach, this museum honors and preserves the history of Virginia’s coastal communities and maritime heritage. Originally, this 1903 building was called the U.S. Life Saving Station Seatack and later named Station Virginia Beach. The station was decommissioned in 1969, and the historic building was moved about 200 feet to its current location on 24th Street and the Boardwalk in 1979. This historic Life-Saving/Coast Guard Station is a Virginia Historic Landmark and also on the National Register of Historic Places.
From small and intimate to large and spacious, our historic building will be perfect for your event. We have a space for any event whether it is your corporate reception, special event, meeting, retreat, symposium, or seminar.